Slip sheets are thin pallet-sized sheets made of corrugated fiberboard used in commercial shipping. Often, these replace the use of traditional wooden pallets. The unit load is usually stretch wrapped or shrink wrapped for stability.
The environment is a major issue nowadays. Slip sheets are particularly environmentally friendly. Increasing numbers of companies are producing slip sheets from recycled materials, e.g. cardboard or plastic, that are of the same quality as regular slip sheets. Companies are eliminating or reducing the use of pallets due to the high costs of pallets.
Reasons to use slip sheets vs. pallets
- More freight (12-15%) in sea containers
- Zero maintenance and easy replacement
- Significant reductions in material handling costs
- Can be customized to fit any size load
- Eliminates the need for pallet exchange.
- Reusable and reliable
- Most are recyclable
- Is cost-effective.
- Safer – no nails and splinters
- ISPM 15 and HACCP proof
- Weighs approximately 20 times less than wooden pallets